Thursday, August 21, 2008

North School Revisited

The North Springfield Old Home Days celebration I attended today...  What I didn''t expect was the emotions I felt when I was able to enter the old school building with a tour group.



North School Revisited
Old Home Day
By: Carolyn Knight
16 August 2008

The North Springfield Old Home Day celebration I attended today was about what I expected. Some yard sale items, a small vegetable table, food, children's crafts, musicians singing and playing their hearts out in front of the brick warming hut and several volunteers with smiling faces more than eager to talk about the past.

What I didn't expect was the emotions I felt when I was able to enter the old school building with a tour group. I recalled my years there back in the 60's when I had attended the first through fourth grades. As we went from room to room, which is now stock piled with unwanted desks, stoves, benches, snow blowers, etc., amidst the clutter, peeling paint and mildew, I recalled days long ago. Sitting there at my desk, remembering which room I had which class in and what teacher had taught that class.

"This is where I sat", Ed Fransen exclaimed as he moved a now tiny desk over by the window. "But this door wasn''t here." His thin frame allowing him to slide into the small chair attached to the desk." I even remember the song Mrs. Thomas taught us to sing." as he started singing the tune aloud. "I don''t believe you actually remember that", I exclaimed. "Well", he said, "my neighbors brother would come home and tell me horror stories about Mrs. Thomas's various disciplinary actions he had witnessed or heard about. Things like making a boy hold out his hands and her whacking his knuckles hard with a ruler. So through out the year before we started school I would keep hearing about how mean Mrs. Thomas was. I was too young to realize I was just being given a one-sided view of her. There was no mention of the fact she would only be that way in response to bad behavior in school. So it sounded to me like she just enjoyed making kids suffer."

As we looked at the door that used to lead to the big metal fire escape tunnel, I remembered climbing up into it just for fun, and how hot and rusty it was. "I was always extremely scared of that thing", a gentleman said. "There was always someone down at the bottom to catch the girls," our tour guide explained, "so they wouldn''t get their dresses messed up and there seemed to always be a puddle at the bottom." Dug by hundreds of happy feet I would assume.

The cafeteria used to be in the basement. "I used to stand right here and pass out milk," someone said. "You used to slide your tray down through here and get your food". Peeling paintings of children line the now mildew covered cement walls. An old water fountain stands by a lone chair, in front of children's paintings of animals that look out through faded eyes.

The heavy rains did end up coming that afternoon, fast and furious as they seemed to have been all summer long, but my spirits had been lifted, recalling a time that doesn't seem that long ago.

I thank Jean Willard and everyone else who has been a part of bringing the North School back to life. You are truly my heroes.

http://www.messagefortheweek.com/MSG/story/22c2bd99-c33a-482d-ade3-233b242ccc71

No comments :

Post a Comment


Please keep your comments polite and on-topic. No profanity

R E C E N T . . . C O M M E N T S

Springfield Vermont News is an ongoing zero-income volunteer hyperlocal news gathering project. No paid advertising is accepted on this site but any Springfield business willing to place a link to this news blog on their site will be considered for a free ad here. Businesses, organizations and individuals may submit write-ups and photos about any positive happenings here in Springfield that they are associated with and would be deemed newsworthy. Email the Editor at ed44vt@gmail.com.

Privacy statement: This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on January 1, 2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Springfield Vermont News directly here: ed44vt@gmail.com

Pageviews past week

---

Sign by Danasoft - For Backgrounds and Layouts