Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Two escape Commonwealth Avenue house fire


On Sunday evening, at 9:33, the Springfied Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 206 Commonwealth Avenue.

The first engine arrived within 3 minutes of the initial call and found heavy smoke showing from the residence. At this time it was also reported that the occupant believed to be trapped had made her way to the door and was assisted to the street by a Springfield police offerer, and the onIy other occupant home at the time of the fire had been able to escape on her own. A Springfield Fire Department ambulance was immediately dispatched to care for the two occupants, both of which were treated and transported to Springfield Hospital. The extent of their injuries is unknown and the names of those involved are being withheld at this time.

Due to the fire resulting in injuries, the Springfield Fire Department Fire Investigation Team requested assistance from the State of Vermont Department of Public Safety Fire Investigation Unit bringing additional investigators from the Vermont State Police and the Vermont Division of Fire Safety.



Based on interviews and physical examination of the scene the cause of the fire is listed as accidental, and is believed to be caused by smoking materials being used in close proximity to medical oxygen.

Damages are estimated to be in excess of $100,C00. Due to the damage present, it was unclear whether or not working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms were in place prior to the fire.

The Springfield Fire Department received mutual aid assisrance on scene from Chester Fire, Accutney Fire, Windsor Fire, Bellows Falls Fire, Walpole, NH Fire, and Charlestown, NH Ambulance Service. Green Mounts:n Power was on scene to shut of the power, and the Springfield Fire Station was covered by the Charlestown, NH Fire Department throughout the incident.




5 comments :

  1. How is this "accidental" if the cause of the fire was "smoking materials being used in close proximity to medical oxygen"? That is a lack of common sense and ignoring of warnings on that oxygen tank! Not accidental! Maybe they should of smoked that weed outside or across the house and not next to the oxygen tank! A big wake up call for that lady and the burns she received. Sorry that the poor cat lost its life due to your stupidity! No sympathy here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous 7:35:
    You are an idiot. Can't wait until July when all you plant Nazis are forced to suck it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that she was smoking around oxygen tanks makes her the idiot, regardless of what she was smoking!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like they (fire inspector) are giving someone a pass here, so that their insurance will reimburse, which then sounds like insurance fraud to me. accidental is not accidental when you smoke near oxygen, read the warnings, I'm sure they were directed not to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not understand how this is considered "accidental". She has COPD and is oxygen, I am sure she was well aware of the warning, "no smoking around oxygen tanks"! She was in her bedroom smoking which is even worse!

      Delete


Please keep your comments polite and on-topic. No profanity

R E C E N T . . . C O M M E N T S

Video:   Improviso No. 2 by Camargo Guarnieri


Performed May 12, 2018 by Keane Southard at the First Congregational Church of Springfield, VT
Springfield Vermont News is an ongoing zero-income volunteer hyperlocal news gathering project. No paid advertising is accepted on this site but any Springfield business willing to place a link to this news blog on their site will be considered for a free ad here. Businesses, organizations and individuals may submit write-ups and photos about any positive happenings here in Springfield that they are associated with and would be deemed newsworthy. Email the Editor at ed44vt@gmail.com.

Privacy statement: This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on January 1, 2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Springfield Vermont News directly here: ed44vt@gmail.com

Pageviews past week


Sign by Danasoft - For Backgrounds and Layouts